A faithful replica of the fabled merchant vessels and warships that made up the late 16th century navies of Europe, El Galeón Andalucía is the only galeón class vessel left sailing today. Recently featured in the NBC mini-series Crossbones, starring John Malkovich as the famed pirate, Blackbeard, El Galeón Andalucía is currently on a ten city, five state tour of the East Coast of the United States.
Savannah’s chance to host this beautiful tall ship comes October 23rd through November 2nd, 2014 when this one-of-a-kind vessel sails up the Savannah River for a ten-day stopover at River Street!
Five of the 170-foot long, 500 ton ship’s seven decks will be open to the public to tour from 10am to 6pm, daily. Crewed by 25 Spanish sailors, a visit to El Galeón Andalucía is a unique opportunities to immerse yourself in historic, Spanish culture. If that seems too tame, given the date and location of the ship, fear not – or maybe, get ready to fear?
Over the Halloween weekend, El Galeón Andalucía will also pay homage to Savannah’s “most haunted American city” by transforming itself into a haunted pirate ship, so avast, me hearties: be well warned!
Other events planned during El Galeón Andalucía’s visit to Savannah’s River Street include:
• Tapas and Tango – A Night in Spain (silent auction benefiting Bethesda Academy) Friday, October 24
• Blackbeard’s Treasure Hunt (through downtown Savannah) – Saturday, October 25
• Party like a Pirate Rum Tasting and Concert –Saturday, October 25
• Pre-Treat on River Street (with a family friendly Haunted Pirate Ship) –Thursday, October 30
• 2nd Annual Crawl-O-Ween Pub Crawl and Haunted Pirate Ship – Friday, October 31
• Farewell to Blackbeard Pirate Brunch – Sunday, November 2
Be sure to visit www.tallshipevent.com for more information.
Enjoy fine lodging and amenities from the convenience of the Landmark Historic District of Savannah when you stay in one of Savannah Villas’ Vacation Villas! Savannah Villas Vacation Villas feature fully equipped kitchens, spacious common areas, and comfortable bedrooms, all near top-rated restaurants, five miles of public beaches, and the lively nightclubs of Savannah. With occupancy available for two or up to 26, you can bring all your friends along! What are you waiting for?